Last weekend Skateistan Cambodia packed up 11 girls and 7 boys, all our staff, plus a whole car full of speakers, luggage, DJ equipment, and enough boards and gear for everyone and made the trek down to the coastal town of Kep to skate a now-infamous bowl in the middle of the Cambodian Jungle.
Skateistan Cambodia has taken advantage of the abundance of NGOs in Cambodia, forming dedicated partnerships with a number of best practices local organizations working with youth. These organizations provide comprehensive services including education, counseling, shelter, and health services to various target youth groups, including youth with disabilities, youth from low-income families, and youth at risk of exploitation or trafficking.
Skateistan Cambodia works with partner organizations both within our facility and in street outreach activities, using the draw of skateboarding to connect youth with essential services.
By working in close partnership with these organizations, Skateistan Cambodia is able to:
- a) guarantee that we reach our target groups, and provide services to the youth who need them the most
- b) use skateboarding as a “hook” to encourage youth to access the comprehensive services provided by these organizations (including education and healthcare)
- c) provide a referral service to youth who are not already aware of or able to access these services, so that they can benefit from our partnerships
- d) receive consulting services from larger and more established NGOs to ensure that we maintain best practices
Skateistan Cambodia’s current partners are:
- The Cambodian Women’s Development Agency
- Damnok Toek
- Friends International
- Pour un Sourire D’Enfant
- Tiny Toones
- Transitions Global